Authentication and Security
Security is a key factor for both the sender and recipient
The need for adequate security when delivering a confidential document is a pre-requisite for any eBilling and electronic document delivery project. It is critical for the sender that only the intended recipient open and view the encrypted email attachment, while customers want confidentiality, and assurance that the messages come from a legitimate source.
Electronic document delivery - Security threats
Email has surpassed the fax and postal mail, and is now relied upon for critical communication efforts thanks to its ease of use, speed and low cost. Organizations use it for everything from financial instructions, to sending contracts, legal documents and bills, to sharing confidential information like patient records, patent applications and business plans.
User email clients (e.g. Outlook, Outlook express, etc) are the most frequent targets for virus writers, because a virus can easily attach itself to an outgoing mail.
Phishing is also a concern. Without proper validated and authenticated emails, increasing numbers of customers are being deceived into clicking on links in scam emails and providing their login and password details to fraudsters.
Striata electronic documents are virus free
Striata Encrypted documents are generated via a secure process, which has no user email client intervention, so there is no point at which a virus can attach to the mail. This makes Striata Encrypted documents impervious to viruses.
Striata uses both Secure PDF format which requires Adobe Reader and Striata Encrypted format which requires the Striata Reader.
The Striata Reader restricts which file types can be automatically opened when double clicking on the secure attachment. The file extensions allowed are as follows:
|File extensions whitelist|
Striata guarantees total security
|Sender Authentication + Recipient Identification = Total Security|
Striata provides intuitive recipient trust that any Striata Emailed Document is from the sender that it purports to be from.
This is achieved through a significant combination of 'authentication' elements which are physically, practically and technically impossible to emulate. These include:
Message Source Authentication:
- SPF Record: Provides authentication to the receiving ISP (AOL, Gmail, Yahoo etc.) verifying that the email originates from the sender (invisible to the consumer.)
- DKIM: Makes use of an authentication key to further verify the sender (invisible to the consumer)
- Digital signature: Provides authentication to the consumer that the email was sent from the sender, and that it has not been tampered with.
- Striata Verified: Striata includes up to 5 pieces of unique partial customer information that is prominently displayed in the body of the email as proof that the sender has an intimate relationship with the recipient.
- Personalization: The email is fully personalized (name, address etc) to further enhance the communication validity.
- Offline viewing: As the secure document is attached, the recipient is not required to link through to any website (eliminating phishing opportunities). Complete offline viewing is available for both computers and mobile devices.
- Attachment Authentication: The attached encrypted document can be digitally signed to validate authenticity and integrity.
It is critical for the sender that only the intended recipient open and view the encrypted email attachment. This is achieved in the following ways:
- Email access: Only recipients with access to the email account can view the message and attempt to open the attachment.
- Attachment encryption: Striata email attachments are encrypted and can only be opened by a recipient in possession of 'shared secret' that is known to that particular sender and recipient. This is usually a sufficiently unique and secret piece of information or existing password.
- Identification within the secure attachment: If required, additional entry fields are available within the secure attachment to further confirm recipient identity.
Our unique and highly differentiated combination of global experience, strategy, technology and services has provided our clients with the best possible security risk scenarios for more than 10 years. Striata offers the highest level of trust to both you and your customers.