Software Development Manager
Job Description: Software Development Manager
Employed by: Striata
Reports to: Operations Director
As the Technical Software Director you will lead the software engineering function in developing, releasing, and maintaining software applications required to deliver business solutions. This includes leading a diverse team of software developers in the development of libraries, custom applications, plug-ins and productised solutions built on top of the Striata’s proprietary digital communications platform.
The right candidate will have a comprehensive understanding of software engineering, software life cycles, quality management, continuous integration and build and release methodologies. The successful candidate will be a strong leader with a clear vision of what a professional software development environment looks like, and the ability to lead a diverse team of software developers in achieving this goal. The position also involves investigating and implementing innovative technologies to continuously improve the quality and efficiency of delivery.
- Build and maintain a professional software development environment with the aim of achieving the highest level of quality and efficiency
- Simplify, standardise and productise software solutions to improve maintainability and reusability
- Lead a diverse team of developers in building high quality software solutions
- Work with the team to ensure sufficient processes and tools are in place to meet the requirements of the business and customers
- Ensure design and code reviews, analysis of code components and code coverage of unit test cases
- Drive end-to-end quality with effective automation of unit level, component level and system level testing
- Encourage a strong development culture, set clear expectations and create a positive work environment based on accountability, in collaboration with the management team.
- Provide business knowledge and technical leadership into the software development team
- Manage the personnel growth of the team including hiring, training and evaluating employees
- Keep focus on long-term, strategic goals while executing against short-term objectives
- Work closely with the platform development team in developing a vision for software requirements to support new and existing initiatives within the company
- Maintain a thorough understanding of the software solutions and areas of the software for which the team are responsible
- Experience in building and leading a high quality software development environment
- Experience using various methodologies and technologies like, Scrum, APIs, PERL, PHP, HTML
- Ability to hold your own in technical discussions, be a subject matter expert, and have strategic influence
- A combination of a highly technical hands-on software developer and an effective people manager
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- High level of analytical skills
- Problem Solving and critical thinking skills